10 year old dies after being given a ‘high voltage’ electric shock in Blackpool hotel

A schoolboy has died after he received a ‘high voltage’ electric shock in a hotel reception.

The 10-year-old boy was found unresponsive following the incident at Tiffany’s Hotel, on Blackpool promenade, with injuries suggesting a “high voltage” of electricity.

He was taken to hospital in a critical condition after emergency services were called to the hotel late on Sunday 3rd September 2023, but he died four days later, on 7th September, surrounded by his family, police said.

Following an initial police investigation this matter has now been passed to the local authority. A file will be prepared for HM Coroner

In a statement yesterday, a spokesman for the hotel said: “We are deeply saddened by this recent incident involving a child who has received a shock on Sunday evening within our reception lounge area. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the child and their family during this distressing time.

“We want to reassure everybody that the health and safety of our guests and team remains our number one priority. We have taken the decision to voluntarily close temporarily whilst we undertake our own inspections.

“Our phone lines do remain open and we are working very closely with the Blackpool Council and the local enforcement to assist in their investigation.”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.