A London cafe owner was given a £60,000 fine after a man died on the premises after being electrocuted.
Sukran Sanli, who owns Adams Café in London Road, CR0 2TD, and her company was also given a 26-week suspended prison sentence and told to do 200 hours of community service.
Her case was heard at Croydon Magistrates Court on Monday, March 20, after Croydon Council’s food and safety team investigated the death by electrocution of Mustafa Ozbek on January 21, 2020.
Mr Ozbek was living in a room at the back of the cafe.
Sanli had paid an unqualified electrician to carry out work twice in 2016 and 2019.
Mr Ozbek was electrocuted because there was no main earth connection to the incoming electrical supply and when a fault occurred on a circuit, the fuse did not operate to trip and cut off the electricity.
It meant metal pipework in the shower room became live with a dangerous voltage which resulted in his death.
The council’s investigation involved specialists from the Health and Safety Executive to inspect the cafe.
It found the electrics were “unsatisfactory” with a number of items identified as being “potentially dangerous”.
Sanli pleaded guilty to four charges, two against her and two against her company, relating to offences under the Health and Safety at Work Etc. Act 1974.
Jason Perry, executive mayor of Croydon, said: “This is a tragic incident that could have been avoided.
“We will always seek the toughest penalties against business and property owners who endanger the lives of others through careless disregard for health and safety law.
“We hope that this very sad case serves as a stark warning to others, to make sure they are fulfilling their duties under the legislation and that all works are carried out by a qualified tradesperson, to avoid putting others at risk.”
Croydon Council is urging businesses to only employ qualified electricians, accredited by one of the approved bodies for electrical contractors, to carry out work on their installation.
These bodies include the Electrical Contractors Association, (ECA), NICEIC, and NAPIT.
Look out for the logos and check the registration of the electrician before allowing them to undertake work.